Monday, September 20, 2010

Like Willie Nelson - on the road again

After getting back to Korea a few days ago, I gave myself just enough time to sort some things out, do some work on my bike and have a few nights out and a few sleep-ins before heading back off. I'm pretty excited; as usual. I'm not as nervous about biking alone like I was the first time; that whole fear of the unknown thing kind of eliminated, and now all that's left is the burn to get back on to the road. I'll probably chill for a day or two in the next town before truly heading out, since I made some friends when I last wrapped up the first half when the summer sun started to to really beat into me, and made biking in the majority of daylight hours unfathomable. Even the nights burned a fever, but thankfully now the worst is over, while still warm enough to sleep outside when needed.

Packing is always a little tough. I've got two t-shirts, one skirt and one pair of shorts (all this includes what I'm wearing), some food like crackers mixed nuts, tuna and canned peaches; all with pull tabs for easy access, and I've also got some Korean cookies my friend gave me for the trip last night, and a whole bunch of Cliff bars for when I need a snack. Also in is my three cameras and three lenses. And the film or other accoutrements needed for each. I can't seem to leave any of them behind, since they all suit different moments, or capture the same thing in such a different way.

I also obviously brought bike tools, spare tubes, a compact pump, patch kit etc etc as well as my Bulgarian sleeping bag and tarp. I also got loaned a camel back (a water backpack) which I honestly adore having with me on these trips. I slapped a blue Knog logo on my helmeINSince they're being so ridiculously awesome and supporting this adventure of mine, so I'm all set! As I walked out of the house, I realized I forgot my camera tripod and my waterproof shoe covers but it was too late to turn around or I'd miss the last bus out of town, so hopefully I dont regret that. Plastic bags can make do as shoe covers, but will I regret the lack of tripod? I hope not..

Oh, did I mention it's major holiday here in Korea this week? It's called Chusok, and means everyone floods to their hometowns so the transport systems are completely innundated with thick swarms of people. Hopefully biking on the roads won't be trecherous because of this, but my main worry is that when I want to catch a boat to Jeju Island, the boats might be booked out, so I'm just gunna wing it and see what flies my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment