Sunday, August 1, 2010

Late night lock down

At the moment, I'm on my way back to the town I'm living in for the next month on a bus. I went a few hours back to my friends house in Daegu to pick up my bike so that I could ride it around in my free time, since I'm currently working at a summer camp for kids. It's a little insane, a lot of work, bit also a lot of fun. I'm really quite lucky I found this, since my food and accomodation is free! The down side is, since we are staying in the same building as the kids, the whole building goes on an automated lock down at 11:30at night. No one told me this however, so I literally found out the hard way one night at 11:46pm when I ambles back to the building.
There was a suspicious yellow chain now strung across the grounds, which I happily jumped to get to the door. My fears were confirmed when I tugged on the door and it didn't budge at all. So I ran over to another door that I saw someone passing by, but they said try couldn't open it or the alarm would sound. Good job, Ariana. Those few hundred of soundly sleeping children will never forget you now.
I tried climbing in a window, but it was securely fixed as well.. So I had the sheepishly head back to the main security guards booth to try and explain myself. He ended up calling someone else who was back by our area,an when I got back there, he wasn't pleased with me to say the least. Our broken conversation went something along these lines (I was again back over the yellow line since I wasn't quite clear on how or where I'd be let in).
"Yellow. Warning line. NO. (guestures over the line)"
"Oh. My bad." and I step gingerly back over
"Close time, 11 half! Time now?"
"Uhh.. 12:06"
"Why?"
"...No one told me about the close time, no one told me about the curfew. ... I had no idea"
He kind of glared at me, opened the door, and then stood in half the doorway to watch me squirm past and glare at me a little more, ad then went back to his post. His post which is directly next to my building no more than 20 paces away from this door, where he was wide awake anyways. I really don't see what the huge inconvenience was, but either way, I was happy to get in.
Of course, everyone at the camp heard about this by the next morning, and some of them had gotten the Chinese whispers version of things and thought I had slept outside. Awesome.
So the curfew is a little limiting for sure, but at least most of the other camp teachers are staying in the same dorms, so we have each other to hang out with.
Only 3 more weeks to go, and then the plan is to catch a boat to Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment