Thursday, April 29, 2010

Late night lockdown

These street games are EVERYWHERE. and i seriously can't resist playing most of them.

The other night, I went over to a friends house to hang out for a bit before going home, and like a responsible person, I checked to find out when my last train time was and left in time to catch it. I've heard whispers of the unreliability of the Korean transit system, but experienced it firsthand when I found myself literally stuck halfway between my place and hers when the trains just suddenly stopped operating.
I was left in one of the worst possible areas - meaning I was completely safe (this country is amazing in that regard), but I was in an area where there were no buses that went to my part of town. I know this because a random guy stopped to help me, and even called his brother to have him check any possible routes home on the internet for me. So the best he could do was help me find a bus that at least went closer to my neck of the woods, where I could then catch a taxi from, so on I hopped. Another couple helped point me in the right direction from the window of the bus, but since I was a little unsure when I got off, I asked two guys who were just literally standing around if they knew which way I should head, since I didn't really have any intention whatsoever to pay for a taxi. They told me they were waiting for their cousin, but once she got there one of them could drive me there, since he was headed that way; and lo and behold, two minutes later I'm in this guys car being driven right to my building, and they even tried to give me one of their coffee drinks they had just bought for themselves on top of all of that.

This country never ceases to amaze me, just as it has done to many a foreigner in the past. They constantly change schedules, and meticulously organised plans go out the window at the drop of a hat; they rush around to get somewhere, and tell you to hurry constantly, just so you can find yourself waiting for an hour because they decided something and forgot to let you in. You kill time just to find out later that they have something so important for you to do, right when you have the least amount of time or energy available. It's completely baffling, but it makes me laugh and totally keeps me on my toes.
 These boys were sneaking around the alleys when I snuck this shot. They must have been smoking because they actually yelped a little in surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment