Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Air China + Bike

Frig.

I saved a lot of money taking a dirt cheap ticket from Southern China Air, and now I see how they make all their money - I've been calling them on and off for the past hour or two, and the whole language barrier makes things even more exciting as you can imagine.

Turns out I'm allowed 20kgs for my TOTAL baggage. Shit baller. I'm takin my bike. I might not be able to take much else. Good thing I found out now before I get to the airport, and just assume it's something like 2 bags each at 23kgs, or the beloved 36kgs two bag allowance that just makes thing un-stressful and 'easy packins'.  They (China Southern) charge $30USD PER kilo over the limit. Talk about getting screwed from behind.

Thank God the Korean mail system is so affordable. I can mail 20kgs home for $40USD. Mind you, that does take two months on a ship, but whatever, I am used to not having much with me anyways. 

Anyone else like to try and find fun ways to get away with more? Lucky it's winter here in Korea, cos you can be sure that I will be layering my clothing like I'm heading for the Arctic, rather than the searing heat of Australia!


The one (tiny) plus, is that my bike box can be as large as 2 meters by 1.5meters, so I guess my bag and my bike are going together in one box. whoopee. Awkward baggage, here I come!
Speaking of all of this, I recently discovered something interesting. There's a whole conglomerate of something known as 'third culture kids', which is basically kids who have grown up traveling and don't particularly identify with one particular culture. It's actually defined a little broader than that, saying it's kids who have grown up in a culture that isn't the same as their parents, but I think the definitions lend themselves more to the traveling kid thing. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment