Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Aussie Adjust

I've been back in Australia for 2 days now, and am finding that I have to adjust being back home more than I ever thought I would have to... whoops.

I miss speaking Korean - I've been speaking it daily for the better part of a year now, and I keep wanting to use it in conversation like I'm accustomed to doing; but stop myself a breath before, because I know it'll mean nothing to whom I'm speaking with. I think mostly though, I'm getting accustomed to small talk again - I'm so used to the largeness of Seoul, and the lack of wasting time. Everything there is 'bbali, bbali', which means 'quickly, quickly', so here I am back on the lovely Sunshine Coast, where everything moves at a comfortable and slow sunny day pace, and everyone stops to have a chat to you. I know it sounds like a dream, but it doesn't mean you don't have to adjust to suddenly being back at home with the parentals, and a culture that you haven't lived in for more than 6 years. 

I definitely like who I've become though - traveling has made me more world-conscious, knowledgeable about mostly random and quirky things as well as the odd useful tidbit, and have a gathering of amazing friends stretched all over the world. I am SO stoked to be home for Christmas, and honestly, really happy to have a break from the whole 'figuring out where to sleep' thing I had to do everyday, as well as having a break from sleeping on the floor of my friends kitchen. I don't mind any of that stuff, but it's great to have gone from that, to now stretching out in a queen sized bed, and my white cat following me from room to room and sleeping on the pillow next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment