Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wandering gypsy

 Hot day in Gimje

I have given up explaining where I'm from. I get asked it nearly daily, but have taken to calling myself a wandering gypsy (apologies to the real Gypsys; the Roma people whom I had the pleasure of meeting in the flesh while hitchhiking in Turkey), a wandering nomad (my favourite and most accurate description), or even just that I claim no allegiance. Humans like having a place they belong, a people they can identify themselves with, a culture they feel at home amongst, but I like that I feel comfortable in all the places I have yet gone, and hope the same goes for those places I will go. I want my head full of languages, and my heart full of love for those I meet all around the world, with no separations bulding walls between us. I do not know my nationality, in the sense that I know my citizenship, but not my heritage, nor my lineage.

All I know is what has been built in my lifetime, my feeling,  thoughts, hurts and loves, and that more than anything else simply makes me like everyone else. No division of race or culture.
Just as it ought to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment