Sunday, August 7, 2011

Life of leaving

I'm now well and truly into my last week of living in new zealand. It's a bit harder than any other place i've left so far - I think in large part because I've only been here 5 months, so it feels too soon to say goodbye to people. I've really only begun to really find my crowd here, but like I've said many times before, I'm resigned to chasing down my photography career and if I'm not learning here or going somewhere with my photography... or at least saving up ... then I can't really justify staying. I don't know that I would have had the motivation to get up and go right now though if it weren't for my best friend getting married in Toronto in a few months, so I was going to pay the money to get out there anyway. Might as well go now and catch the tail end of summer and try and get some momentum with my photography there while I have the chance and a place to live with my friend.

The challenge now is to get my life packed back into a bag. A bag. one 23kg bag with one carry on. This includes my (not light) cameras, lenses, stand, flash, umbrella and somehow some personal belongings and necessities so that I don't have to buy stuff when I get to Canada. I'm considering shipping some stuff to my parents home in Australia, but thats pretty pricey too, so I'm not sure how I'll go about this, but I don't want to have too much stuff with me incase I want to get travelling again after my friends wedding in mid november. Trying to plan for a plan shrouded in fog is a little tricky, but I've learnt that it's always best to just travel light and make do with what little you have. The reality of packing your whole life into one bag over and over again can be tough, but everytime I get where I'm supposed to be you never miss the possessions of the last place, just the people.

I'm still working at the moment, but also trying to do as many shoots before I go and just take a lot of photos. I guess moving is always good motivation to remind me to keep shooting. I've given up a lot to live this life and to chase down photography. 

I met up with this great photographer this week, and she let me just pick her brain about things and how she works / gets work and it was so great to talk to another photographer who carved a spot for herself and does it really well. One of my big challenges is to figure out what direction I want to take so that I can really focus on that; but also just to shoot as much as possible so that I am getting as much experience as I can. This below is some stuff I shot for an actor friend of mine yesterday in Auckland, NZ.


No comments:

Post a Comment